salutations - How to address letter to a company



I want to send a letter to a company (specifically Microsoft). I've read some things that say one should write "To whom it may concern". I really don't like this; it sounds pretentious. Other sources suggest writing "Dear Sirs" or "Dear Sir or Madam". I don't care for either of these because in the former case a woman could be reading the letter, and in the latter case my letter could be read by multiple people. "Dear Sirs or Madams" sounds ridiculous. "Dear Microsoft" is obviously laughable (and I'm very apposed to corporate person-hood, hah!).


I've never particularly cared for "Dear" as the beginning to a letter myself. I don't even know who I'm writing to. But what options do I have other than "Dear"?


What should I do?



Answer



Here is how it works if the intended recipient is unknown.


If the gender is unknown, use:



Dear Sir/Madam, Dear Sir or Madam, Dear Madam or Sir; Dear Sirs



If the recipient is male:



Dear Sir



Otherwise,



Dear Madam,



If you want to exclude gender altogether from your letter, then use:



To Whom It May Concern



That said, the important thing is what you write. Nobody is going to care much about what kind of salutation you use.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"