negation - "I ain’t gonna give nobody none of my jelly roll" (Armstrong, 1958)





Is there a rule about double negations that aren't meant as double negations (e.g. “We don't need no education”)?
“I give nothing to no-one” or “I do not give anything to anyone”




(a)  "I ain’t gonna give nobody none of my jelly roll."



Is (a), the title of one of the odder songs in the Armstrong discography, equivalent to (b) below?



(b)  "I am not going to give anybody any of my jelly roll."




Answer



Multiple negation has been a feature of English for centuries. Modern Standard English does not allow it, but it is found in other dialects, as your example shows. In dialects where multiple negation occurs, the strength of the negation increases with the number of negatives.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"