American vs. British English: meaning of "One hundred and fifty"


I've noticed that Americans do not say "and" when speaking numbers: for example, 150 would be pronounced "one hundred fifty".


I and most other British-English speakers would pronounce it "one hundred and fifty".


I've seen a few different arguments on the net about which is "better", and something that is often asserted on the American side is that the "and" represents a decimal point - so "one hundred and fifty" would be interpreted as 100.50.


This struck me as odd, since although I see a lot of American movies and TV, I don't think I've ever heard anyone actually do this.


So my question: is this "and = decimal point" actually used in the USA, and can anyone cite some examples (maybe on youtube?)?




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"