syntactic analysis - "To buy a bed with" vs "to play a ball with"


I got into a discussion with a friend and we're trying to figure out why we omit with when we say



I have no money to buy a bed [with]



when, grammatically, it's the same as



I have no ball to play soccer with.



In this case, having with is correct, while in the case of the first sentence, it feels weird to have with at the end of the sentence.


Also,



I have no time to study.


I have no one to study with.



Again, how would I explain why we omitted with in the first sentence? I understand why we need it in the second one though.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"