Is there a word for the person who hides truth in order to deceive?


Let's say I caused a minor car crash some time ago and today I meet a woman. The conversation goes:



Woman: Hey, I remember that car with the scratch from the crash last week, you must be the one who caused it.


Me: Are you sure? It didn't necessarily have to be me, I see a car with a scratch like this almost every day.



What I was referring to was that I see the car every day when I drive it.


Is there a word for this?



Answer



I never lie. I do, however, occasionally deceive. For example if someone asks me something I don't want to tell them, saying "I don't know" is a lie. Saying "I'm not allowed to tell you" may reveal the information, or encourage them to try harder to get it out of me. But "oh, I really couldn't say" or "yeah, nothing's been announced yet" often cause people to believe that I don't know, even though they are technically not lies.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"