meaning in context - What does the phrase that 'I've all but..' mean in this sentence?


I found the sentence below in a book I'm reading:



I've all but given up dating because I'm so tired of the pain and humiliation.



What does I've all but mean in this context?



Answer



It means



I've almost but not quite given up dating ...



The All but part suggests the speaker has done everything.


But the expression is used when the speaker can't think of anything further to do, so it might not be literally everything.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"