meaning - What does "I can't agree with you more" mean?


I've recently encountered three sentences:




  1. I can't agree with you more.

  2. I can't agree with you any more.

  3. I can't agree with you anymore.



What do these three sentences mean? Are they the same, or are there any differences?



Answer



"I cannot agree with you more." means that I agree with you to a complete extent, making it impossible for me to agree with you to a greater extent.


"I cannot agree with you any more." means that I can no longer agree with you. I agreed with you before, but that has come to an end.


"Anymore" is a somewhat controversial word which is equivalent to "any more", but does not substitute for "any more" in all uses: you would never write "I don't need anymore supplies".


See for instance: http://alt-usage-english.org/anymore.html


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"