word choice - When to use "around" and "about"?


As I know about and around can be used when we estimate something, for example,



I'll arrived around 3:00 PM.



or



I'm here about 10 minutes.



I want to know, are there any rules or idioms when to use about or around?



Answer



When used to indicate an approximate time (your first example), "around" is more common.


When used to indicate an approximate duration, either will do, but "about" is probably more common. No particular difference in register, though.


I'm guessing that your first example should be "I'll arrive around 3 pm" while your second should be "I've been here [for] about/around ten minutes".


(British usage)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"