differences - Mixing British and American spellings in writing



I like color more than colour, but I like favourite more than favorite. For me it is better to write



My favourite color is blue.



Is it wrong to mix British and American spellings in writing, and if so in which contexts shouldn't I?



Answer



As far as I know, there are no hard-and-fast rules against mixing American and British spellings, but as you suspected, there are contexts where you shouldn't do so. For example, when writing for an American audience, avoid British spellings; and when writing for a British audience, avoid American spellings; but those cases aside, there should be no problem with mixing of spellings.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

word choice - Which is the correct spelling: “fairy” or “faerie”?

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?