Is it correct to use "punctuation outside of the quotations", or "inside?"





How should I punctuate around quotes?
When should end punctuation go inside quotes?



Or is it region specific? I was always taught that when ending a quotation, that punctuation remains inside of the quote.



I think he said, "we should go to the store." Are you sure he said, "we should go to the store?"



As opposed to:



I think he said, "we should go to the store". Are you sure he said, "we should go to the store"?



This is just an arbitrary example off of the top of my head, and it's hard for me to come up with an example for the second usage because it looks completely wrong to me.


I actually got into a small argument with my girlfriend earlier this year because she uses something similar to the second example, and said that's how she was taught (which is why I ask if it's region-specific.)


Anyway, is there a correct usage for ending a quotation with punctuation?



Answer



In American English, commas and periods go inside the quotation marks. Semi-colons, question marks and exclamation marks go inside the quotation marks only if they're part of the quotation. E.g.,



"What time is it?" he asked.


Did he really say, "I don't care"?



So your example should be the following:



I think he said, "we should go to the store." Are you sure he said, "we should go to the store"?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

word choice - Which is the correct spelling: “fairy” or “faerie”?

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?