Is 'All of my first attempts did not succeed' equal or close to the meaning of 'None of my first attempts succeeded'?


I would say that the former one means the same as 'Not all of my first attempts succeeded' and 'Some of my first attempts failed'. I don't have a persuasive answer as to why.



Answer



It's a matter of dialect; English speakers differ. This is a well-known and well-studied matter in English. See for example https://books.google.com/books?id=-7ADDgAAQBAJ&pg=PA90&lpg=PA90&dq=neg-q+dialect&source=bl&ots=vQQOPL5xgv&sig=ACfU3U0wLxSe9bdn_cJRrH7MwD6zFF06Jg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiUooqN2p7kAhVXsp4KHVusDJ4Q6AEwAHoECAcQAQ#v=onepage&q=neg-q%20dialect&f=false and references therein.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

word choice - Which is the correct spelling: “fairy” or “faerie”?

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?