word choice - Can 'I would say' always replace 'I think'?


There is a question about 'I guess' and one answer is comparing 'I guess', and 'I would say'.





  • I would say characterizes what follows as a personal opinion or judgment: From what I know of him I would say he is coming.




  • I guess characterizes what follows as a conjecture or inference: Well, if he were coming he'd be here by now, so I guess he's not coming.





My question is I am bored of 'I think' every time I wanna tell my idea, so can I use 'I would say' instead of it? As an non-native English speaker, I feel 'I would say' is more aggressive than 'I think', is that true?




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

word choice - Which is the correct spelling: “fairy” or “faerie”?

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?