Prepositional phrase Vs Direct object


I have seen the rule put forward that



We need a direct object to form a passive sentence.



The following sentences don't have direct objects according to some schools of thought, they have prepositional phrases. But are these sentences passivisible?



He is playing with me ["with me"= prepositional phrase] no direct object in this sentence


John is sitting by me ["by me"= prepositional phrase] no DO in this sentence


I slept in the bed ["in the bed"= prepositional phrase] no DO in this sentence


Mary arrived at school ["at school"= prepositional phrase] no DO in this sentence


He fell on the ground ["on the ground"= prepositional phrase] no DO in this sentence



There are questions I feel can't be asked in isolation:



Can a prepositional phrase like these act like a direct object?


Should it be called a direct object?


Are there exceptional cases?


How does all this bear upon passivisability?



I will be very grateful to you If you provide the reasonable answers of my questions. Thank you so much!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

word choice - Which is the correct spelling: “fairy” or “faerie”?

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?