word choice - What is the correct usage of "meanwhile"?


I see meanwhile a lot; I use it a lot; yet I'm not sure about the formal rules when it's applicable. Can anyone help me?



Answer



"Meanwhile" is a word meaning "while something else is happening." It is used to bridge references to two actions that are happening simultaneously.



I was sitting in my car at the train station, waiting for my wife, who was supposed to be home on the 6:40. Meanwhile, she was on a different train going to God-knows-where.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

word choice - Which is the correct spelling: “fairy” or “faerie”?

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?