grammaticality - How to use I feel like


I want to go for wine and tapas, it's correct to say this? - I feel like wine and tapas. - I feel like I want wine and tapas. - What about going for wine and tapas?



Answer



Yes, you can say


1) I feel like having wine and tapas.


2) I feel like going for wine and tapas.


3) I feel like wine and tapas.


The third sentence uses an understood gerund, whether it's eating or having, etc. after feel like.


Garner's Modern English Usage


explains that using feel like before a food is "perfectly grammatical" and "not at all substandard". That the object of like is the understood (i.e., elided) gerund eating and that the object of eating is the food substance.


Cambridge Dictionary



feel like something


to have a desire to do or have something:


I feel like Chinese food.



Word Reference



If you feel like something, it can also mean that you want to have it or to do it.


I feel like pizza for dinner.



See also the dialog at ESL Fast:



A: Let's go out to eat.
B: That sounds like fun.
A: Where do you want to go?
B: Let me think a minute.
A: I feel like Chinese.
B: That sounds delicious.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

word choice - Which is the correct spelling: “fairy” or “faerie”?

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?