prefixes - Why can "trans" be replaced with an x?


I can't think of an example, so I may be wrong about this, but I think I've seen people replace the prefix "trans" as in transport with an x. "Cross" makes sense, as in "railroad crossing", and I guess "chris" is sort of a punny extension, the extension being like "chris cross" and the example being "xmas", but why trans?



Answer



Trans is sometimes replaced by x as an abbreviation, because trans means cross, or across, and the letter x as a symbol is a cross.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"