word choice - "Out of" vs "outside" of city


I would like to know what would be the correct sentence here. I just want to say that I left the city on the weekend.



I went out of the city on Saturday.
I went outside the city on Saturday.




Answer



Your sentences are fine. As J.R. mentioned, it's better to say,



I left the city on Saturday.



Out of is better suited in situations like,



I am out of town right now, I will get back to you when I return.



Although outside the city is grammatically correct, it sounds a bit unorthodox in this context.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"