flapping - Is it okay to flap "didn't" (and "wouldn't", "couldn't", "ridden")


I've tried to research this topic a lot and since I'm not a native English speaker, I can't tell whether it sounds "right" or not when you flap these words. I've found some examples on youtube of seemingly native people who flap it. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Avril Lavigne flaps "didn't" in her song "Tomorrow You Didn't".


Somebody singing it in a song though, may not mean it is "okay" to flap didn't (or wouldn't, couldn't, etc). Is it common?


Also, I think some people differentiate "written" and "ridden" by flapping the latter. On the other hand, some people don't. Which is more common?


Thinking about this has given me multiple headaches over the last few days so if you have any input I'd be very thankful. To a native speaker, does flapping these words make them sound strange or not?


For reference: Wikipedia - Flapping




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"