grammar - Omitting "that" when connecting clauses




Possible Duplicates:
Use of “that” in a sentence
How do you handle “that that”? The double “that” problem



What exactly is the recommendation, when I'm writing, to do with the word "that"?


Often, while speaking, someone might say:



I think it's going to rain.



Whereas, technically, it should be:



I think that it's going to rain.



However, things can get complicated when using the word "that" to refer to an object such as "this or that":



I guess that would be the right thing to do.



versus:



I guess that that would be the right thing to do.



Is the latter even grammatically correct?


What should I do in these cases? Should I add the word "that" in all cases, or only cases where it might be ambiguous otherwise? Should I always omit it? Should I repeat the word "that" twice when appropriate, or should I always list it once in these cases?




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"