meaning - Is there a word for a "promise breaker"?


I'm somewhat vexed in that I cannot think of a word that means a "promise breaker" or "person who breaks a promise". There are words that may subsume that, such as "miscreant" or "liar", but I cannot come up with an English word that is limited to a person who breaks promises.


The closest I've come is "piker", which is (a) informal and (b) limited to Australia/NZ, but means (according to the dictionary on my Mac):



a person who withdraws from a commitment.



Is there a more formal and common word that can be used to refer to people who break promises?



Answer



Reneger:



renege, renegue vb (intr; often foll by on)
to go back (on one's promise, etc.)
reneger , reneguer n



Reneger vs. oath breaker ngram:


ngram of 'reneger' and 'oath breaker' 1920-2010, reneger leading in use approx 1960, oath breaker leading in use approx 1930s and early 2000s


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"

etymology - Since when has "a hot minute" meant a long time?

etymology - Why "silver-tongued" for someone who is convincing?

usage - "there doesn't seem" vs. "there don't seem"

First floor vs ground floor, usage origin

meaning - What is synonyme of "scale"?

grammatical number - "My wide range of abilities have/has helped"