adjectives - "the same" and "that particular one"


Consider



I'm driving the same car.



It sounds like me and someone else share one and the same car. But I could mean that my car is just another copy of the same model of the car. How do I express that?



Answer



If you were to say, in casual conversation,



Tom and I drive the same car.



most Americans would assume you meant the same make and model. You wouldn't have to specify that you did not mean a single shared vehicle. In fact, if you did mean a single vehicle you would probably have to add information to the above example, or phrase the sentence differently, as in



Tom and I share a car.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"