grammar - "Much of it is" or "Much of it are"?



I'm writing an college-entrance essay and for me it's imperative that I understand and implement the correct one of these two expressions:



"Much of it is" or "Much of it are"



If you need context:



I'm having trouble with my writing. The reason I'm having trouble is that much of it is about....



Should there be an "is" or an "are"?



Answer



"Much of it is" is the correct grammar. Much always applies to singular nouns (i.e. quantifying a noun that is a singular entity). In addition, "it" is a singular pronoun. So it is without question that "is" is the correct verb conjugation to use.


Were it plural, it would be "many of them are".


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"