punctuation - How to use hyphens appropriately when listing multiple hyphenated terms?


If multiple hyphenated terms share the same latter half, and I wish to list them without repeating that latter half, how should the hyphens be placed?


For example:



I will be investigating control issues in ground-based, water-based, and air-based robots.



If I do not want to repeat based, could I write:



I will be investigating control issues in ground-, water-, and air-based robots.



Is it correct to just leave a hyphen dangling after ground and water?


If not, how should it be written? I know the original sentence doesn't sound too bad, but I really just want to know the punctuation rule (or the convention in American English if there is no rule).




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"