example - What's the correct usage of the word "Opinion"?


I have been posting on a forum recently, and every time I express my opinion, someone says I'm using the word incorrectly, and I want to confirm this.


I said something along the lines of: "In my opinion, this thing is bad"


Surely this acceptable? I would have thought the "In my opinion" would automatically render anything that follows part of my opinion, and not a fact that I am stating is true, so this would be the equivalent of "I think this thing is bad", would it not?


Otherwise, what is the correct usage of the word "opinion" in this context?


Edit: An addition to avoid confusion:


Take this example: "In my opinion, the realism in some videogames hinders the enjoyability, because etc.". This was actually the point I made in the first place, and the other person said that my opinion was invalid because there is evidence against my claim (as in they thought it didn't hinder the enjoyability), though I thought this was closer to the definition of "Fact".




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"