present participle - "I saw him crossing" vs. "I saw him cross"




I saw him crossing the road.
I saw him cross the road.



Which one is correct and why?



Answer



They are both correct, grammatically speaking. However, they have slightly different meanings.



I saw him crossing the road.



... suggests that you saw a male person in the middle of crossing the road (he was probably walking in the middle of the road toward one of the sides). But, you didn't necessarily see him get to the side of the road



I saw him cross the road.



... suggests that you saw him do the entire action of starting on one side, walking across, and ending up on the other side.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"