grammar - Usage of the word "itself"


Is it correct to use the word "itself" in the following cases. I have seen many people using "itself" in the following cases



  1. I read the note yesterday itself (to mean - I already read the note yesterday)

  2. I met the doctor in the morning itself. (to mean - I already met the doctor in the morning)


if the usage of "itself" is itself wrong, what would be the correct usage or alternative to express the meaning mentioned in the brackets



Answer



"Itself" is not used in this way in British or American English. I suspect that it may be used in other Englishes: Irish and Indian come to mind, but I'm not sure.


It does seem to fill a hole, as there is not an obvious word in UK or US which fulfils the same role, of emphasising the time.


I would say "just yesterday" and "just this morning": these are not quite the same meaning, as they are emphasising how recent the time was, whereas I interpret the original remarks as emphasising the time for some reason but not necessarily its recency.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"