grammaticality - I will drive into town... but I can't drive


My girlfriend messaged me earlier to say "I will drive into town with my mother". I thought this was odd, since she doesn't have a licence. Turns out she meant that her mother will be driving, and she pointed out that it is perfectly fine to say "I will drive" in that case, citing the second usage of the verb from here.


I guess she is right then. Really though? I drive, can also mean I will be in a vehicle that somebody else is actually driving?



Answer



It's a bit pedantic to quibble over such use of drive. I've never heard anyone take issue with...



He is sailing to Calais this afternoon
He flew to New York yesterday



...in contexts where he is a passenger (not a sailor or a pilot).


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"