questions - Response to "Would you not do it?"


If posed with the subject question, given that I will not do the action in question, then what is the correct answer



No, I will not do it.



or



Yes, I will not do it.



#1 sounds better to me, but #2 is more logical. #1 sounds somewhat paradoxical in context of the question.



Answer



I would use the first one as "No" asserts negativity. The following Wikipedia post could be helpful here:



According to Grimes, the answer "yes" asserts a positive answer and the answer "no" asserts a negative answer, irrespective of the form of the question. But in fact simple "Yes" or "No" word sentence answers to yes-no questions can be ambiguous in English. For example, a "Yes" response to the question "You don't beat your wife?" could mean either "Yes, I don't beat my wife." or "Yes, I do beat my wife." depending from whether the respondent is replying with the truth-value of the situation, or is replying to the polarity used in the question. This ambiguity does not exist in languages that employ echo answers. In the Welsh language, for example, the response "ydw" ("I am") has no such ambiguity when replying to a question.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"