grammaticality - Is it acceptable to omit "I" when it's the subject?





Is it acceptable to begin a declarative sentence with “Am”?



Is it correct English to omit I from the beginning of a sentence when it's clearly implied?


For example...



How are you? Hope everything's okay?



as opposed to



How are you? I hope everything's okay?




Answer



Languages in which omitting the subject is gramatically correct are called null-subject languages. English isn't one of them.


The linked Wikipedia article does mention the dropping of a subject in some sentences, but says that this is a colloquialism.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"

etymology - Since when has "a hot minute" meant a long time?

etymology - Why "silver-tongued" for someone who is convincing?

usage - "there doesn't seem" vs. "there don't seem"

First floor vs ground floor, usage origin

meaning - What is synonyme of "scale"?

punctuation - Is "et al" always accompanied by a period?